Top 10 Barriers to Self-Growth
Change can be scary as we feel new things, entertain different thoughts, perhaps leave old ways behind.
Here are 10 obstacles that can hinder self-growth.
1. Denial. It’s difficult to grow when you don’t see the need. Listen to the quiet voice inside and to what your loved ones are saying. Get the support you need to see the truth.
2. Seeing yourself as a victim. If you’re always one-down, you can’t become the empowered person you are meant to be.
3. Substance abuse. Whether you’re self-medicating or seeking escape, the problems just don’t go away without the willingness to face them.
4. Self-loathing. Nothing banishes self-hatred faster than self-care. Choose in any moment the kindest path.
5. Blame. If we always point the finger at another, we never see our own role.
6. Defensiveness. This is a racket we swing against anything that suggests we might be at fault. Try to see “faults” as opportunities to grow.
7. Fear. Acknowledge the frightened parts of yourself, praise your courage, and be gentle.
8. Rage. Rage is a call for attention to our triggers, but sometimes we get stuck there. Accepting and working creatively with the feelings can help free you.
9. Busyness. Constantly moving allows no time for the reflection that lays the foundation for self-growth.
10. Unwillingness to admit error. As with defensiveness, if we stop judging “error” as wrong, an ever-expanding life awaits.
If you're struggling with any of the above then join the Members area and let's work together to overcome them! Sound good?